The Ultimate Commercial Relocation Checklist
Moving can be both exciting and stressful, but even more so when you’re moving your entire commercial business or office. Planning the relocation of such a large amount of people, equipment, facilities and filing is certainly a logistical challenge, but one that is made easier through a dependable removals company and a bit of know-how.
If this is your first commercial relocation, you might be wondering where to start and what factors should be considered to ensure that nothing is forgotten. To help you to launch your office relocation, we’ve put together this essential commercial relocation checklist for you to refer to during the course of your big move.
12 – 6 Months Before Relocation
- Don’t keep people in the dark. Engage with key stakeholders and organisations about the move, including unions, parent companies, energy providers and staff.
- Make a plan and establish key roles to be filled by trustworthy staff. It’s important to involve other people in the move and make it a team effort as this will boost your chance of success. Some traits you might look for amongst your staff could include; people in senior positions, good communicators, multi-tasking skills, budgeting skills.
- Choose the perfect location for your new office. Your location of your business’s new home is one of the most important decisions you will make, so choose wisely. Consider factors such as transport links, space, accessibility, realistic commute times for your staff and parking.
- Establish a budget (and try and stick to it).
3 Months Before Relocation
- The success of the move will hinge on the services of a trustworthy removals company. Get quotes from removals companies and decide how big or small their role will be on the day.
- Speak to your old and new landlords about access to the premises to decide where removals trucks can be stationed.
- Security is paramount. Begin planning the security of your new premises as soon as possible, such as installing appropriate security systems.
- It’s vital that your new location is safe for your staff to work in.
- Carry out risk assessments, and devise health and safety plans for your new premises.
- Arrange for waste removal services to be on hand when you need them.
1 Month Before Relocation
- Finalise the floor plan, staff seating layout and space allocation for equipment, files and areas. To prevent chaos on the first day in the new office, it’s important that everyone knows exactly where they will be sitting and where essential equipment (e.g. the printers, files) will be located.
- Moving premises is a great opportunity to give your business a declutter. Throw out anything that is irrelevant to your business, making sure to shred any sensitive information.
- Meet with your IT and telecoms providers to discuss the relocation.
- Liaise with your removals company concerning the final details of the move.
1 Week Before Relocation
- Send a reminder email out to all staff.
- Double check any parking or access issues, and think of solutions.
- Order crates, boxes and labels and begin packing.
On The Day
- Stay calm and support your staff throughout the move.
- Relax, and let your trusted removals company take care of the move.
Are you planning a commercial relocation? Fragile Removals can help you make the move, providing our expert commercial relocation services throughout the Waikato. We are proud of our flexibility, and are able to offer our services on evenings and weekends to ensure maximum convenience and minimal disruption. In addition, we also offer comprehensive storage solutions with both short-term and long-term options available. For more information, simply get in touch with our team today.